Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Reading List 2010 (or what's left of it)

I just finished all of my course work for graduate school. I haven't quite graduated yet; that won't happen until December. But I am done with commuting, classes, exams, papers, and group projects. To celebrate, I have compiled a list of books that I have been wanting to read for a while and then, after compiling the list, I had to decide which ones would get read sooner than later. That was tough. Inspired by another blog that I read (Alissa Wilkinson), I've decided to make annual reading lists at the beginning of every year. I like to set goals for myself, and I like to read. So, a beginning-of-the-year reading list is a natural fit for me. I realize that it is not January, but as far as I'm concerned the year is just beginning. I don't have to translate anything from Greek or Hebrew, and I'm no longer hip-deep in documents from the early church fathers. So, for me, this is the beginning. And as such, I have my "Back Nine" Reading list for 2010. Here it is. (Audiobooks are excluded from this list)

Nonfiction
Big Man - Clarence Clemmons and Don Reo
Intuitive Leadership - Tim Keel
Tribes - Seth Godin
Save the Cat - Blake Snyder
The Artist's Way - Julie Cameron
Understanding Comics - Scott McCloud
Shop Class as Soulcraft - Matthew Crawford
Justice - Michael Sandel

Essays
Shakespeare Wrote For Money - Nick Hornby
Killing Yourself to Live - Chuck Klosterman
Assassination Vacation - Sarah Vowell

Theology
Secrets in the Dark - Frederick Buechner
Culture Making - Andy Crouch
The Sacred Way - Tony Jones
Invitation to the Journey - Robert Mulholland
This Beautiful Mess - Rick McKinley
In the Beginning - Henry Blocher
Understanding Genesis - Nahum Sarna
The Fidelity of Betrayal - Peter Rollins
Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places - Eugene Peterson
After You Believe - N.T. Wright

Fiction
High Fidelity - Nick Hornby
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon
Glittering Images - Susan Howatch

Poetry
Ballistic - Billy Collins
Compass of Affection - Scott Cairns
Primitive Mentor - Dean Young

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Geez. I'm needing to read more.

(Looks like a good list.)

caroline said...

how far have you made it on this list?

Rob said...

Not very far. I've actually gotten myself into a bit of a literary traffic jam.